Have you read a horror story lately? Cause you're about to read on now.
Once upon a time a wanna be game developer updated his engine and a 95% ready game just got 1% ready.
Well though the beginning is horrifying the end is happy. So lets clear things out now. I'm at fault here because I didn't have a back up and the problem isn't in updating the engine itself. It has more to do with opening the project with the new version. I have 2-3 version of the same engine, depending on the number of projects and on which version each the project is created. So when I opened the project on a the wrong version it happened. No data was lost. I don't know what happened but on some levels the game didn't work properly, some blueprints were messed up etc. In retrospect it could have been much much worse.. Anyway I started salvaging and patching up the game. After each major fix I made a backup. Now I make backup of everything, sometimes a backup of the backup..
After much salvaging it came to a point where it couldn't be fixed..That was the worst feeling I felt since the start of my journey to become a game developer. There were couple of levels which I couldn't fix, be it because of my of lack skills or knowledge. After some thought I started migrating the working parts to a new project. My plan was to redo the broken beyond repair stuff(levels). An that's what I did! Frankly the redone levels are even better than before(duh!) and at least there's a plus to all this nightmare. So after much copying, constantly going between projects, doing backups, doing backups of the backups, checking if everything works after each 'new' level I was able to do it and it worked!
I think this experience got me closer to the game developer (and idiot) title overall. It's one of those things in one's career who everyone else has gone through. Till next time when I'll put a name to the game!